617 19 17
How about some fun Christmas activities for the family this holiday season? The best way to get your crew interested in family time is to create some holiday cheer and make some fun traditions.
Here is a list of things my family has done over the years. I am so glad my husband and I took the time out to do them as my kids are now grown.
I realize now, I only had a small window of time to make Christmas a magical time they would love and remember fondly. Check out these 33 tips to create fun Christmas activities for the whole family.
33 Fun Christmas Activities For the Family
These fun Christmas activities for the family are sure to please every age and make your kids smile. These ideas will help you bond together and create wonderful memories for years to come. Some of them may even become a tradition.
Fun Christmas Activities Away From Home:
- Christmas concert-attend a Christmas concert as a family
- Movie theater or Drive-In-go see the latest Christmas movie in the theater.
- Movies at home-watch Hallmark or other Christmas movies together at home. We love to watch It’s a Wonderful Life every year together.
- Christmas play-go to a Christmas play at a local theater.
- Travel-get out of town and enjoy the holidays away from home with your family. New York is so fun at Christmas time.
Fun Christmas Activities With Food:
- Special breakfast-make a special breakfast Christmas Eve or Christmas morning.
- Gingerbread house-decorate a gingerbread house. You can buy the premade sheets with the candy and icing altogether in a kit. It’s not expensive.
- Make cookies-we loved making gingerbread cookies. The kids had fun decorating them. Most of the time the gingerbread men looked a bit wonky…but they still tasted good!
- Create family memories-make traditions special to your family (We toss pancakes from the stove to the table on Christmas morning.)
- Special dinner-go to a nice restaurant during the holidays that you would never go to any other time of the year. This is one of the most fun Christmas activities for the family we look forward to every year.
Fun Christmas Activities For the Family (Young Kids):
- Pictures with Santa-many times the mall or department store will have a Santa that sees kids and takes pictures. I have seen a few places that do selfies.
- Christmas tree-pick out the tree or go cut one down, and then decorate the tree together and drink hot cocoa or cider.
- Elf on the Shelf-do elf on the shelf during the season. Here are 50 ideas to help you make it fun.
- Christmas crafts-make Chrismas themed crafts together. Pinterest has tons of ideas.
- Open a present-open one present on Christmas Eve just to add a little fun.
- Santa-set out milk and cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve.
- Reindeer prints-put reindeer prints on the floor Christmas morning so it looks like Rudolph and all the reindeer came.
- Stockings-hang stockings on the mantle and fill them when Santa comes.
- Carriage ride-many areas have carriage rides available. This is definitely one of the best fun Christmas activities for the family.
Fun Christmas Activities For the Family (Teenagers):
- Christmas lights-drive around your area and look at Christmas lights.
- Ice skating-go ice skating together. Have your kids invite friends to come along.
- Christmas shopping/market-do your Christmas shopping together as a family at a specialty market or shopping center that is decorated for the holidays.
- Holiday in the Park-this is at Six Flags over Texas. Check your area for amusement parks that do holiday celebrations.
- Game night-play games together as a family, and listen to holiday music, and drink cocoa.
- Puzzle-have a 500 or 1000 piece Christmas puzzle sitting out for everyone to work on during the season. People will just gather at the table randomly to work on it.
- Caroling-sing carols together as a family or go caroling together with friends.
Fun Christmas Activities For the Family That Is Spiritual:
- Christmas Eve service-attend a church service on Christmas Eve.
- Christmas story-read the Christmas story (Luke 2) sometime during the season.
- Celebrate Advent- have an advent calendar and read a meaningful passage every week.
- Live Nativity Scene-attend a live nativity play or scene in your area.
- Mission project-participate in Angel Tree, Operation Christmas Child, feed the homeless, or visit a nursing home.
- Church services-attend church services during Advent.
- Christmas music-have Christmas music playing in the background during the season. Just keep it going all day. It will create a festive mood.
Here is an amazing song that is quite powerful. It will definitely help bring in the season.
How Can I Make Family Christmas Fun?
This best fun Christmas activities for the family are ones that the whole family is interested in doing. Don’t force an activity, even if every other family does it. Listen to what your family likes to do.
My kids decorated the tree a couple of times and then lost interest, so we never did it again together.
On the other hand, my family loves to travel on the holidays, go on carriage rides, eat at nice restaurants, and worship together, so that is what we do. Last year, my 21-year-old decorated three gingerbread houses. This is a tradition that we have been doing since they were young and, apparently, they are going to keep doing for who knows how long…
Furthermore, take time to do something you love to do… alone. Keep up your own health and enjoy the season! Don’t feel like you have to do everything on the list. They are just suggestions!
Merry Christmas from Mom Remade!
What fun Christmas activities for the family do you do. Comment below.
Got Family Problems? There is Help and Hope!
Are you experiencing family problems or even estranged? Are you feeling shame, anger, or rejection? Check out my book Estranged: Finding Hope When Your Family Falls Apart on Amazon or at your favorite digital store.
This book not only talks about my seven-year estrangement from my Christian family, but it also gives solid tips to help you with your own family problems. Break free from your pain. Allow God to heal you no matter what has happened in your family of origin. There is hope when your family falls apart.
Creating Family Memories Book
Get Creating Family Memories. This book will help you manage your family in a way that allows more time to be intentional with your kids. It includes a schedule too. You can get it at your favorite bookstore.
Join Christian Family Living Facebook Group
Continue the conversation on Facebook and join the group Christian Family Living. This is a place for Christian women to share their experiences and get helpful tools to navigate the Christian life. We love to laugh, cry, and encourage each other to live out our faith one day at a time.