How about some fun Christmas activities for the family this holiday season?
The best way to get your crew interested in family time is to create some holiday cheer and make some fun family traditions together so your kids will want to hang around.
Pin it for later!
Check out these 50 fun Christmas activities for the family as they are sure to please every age. These ideas will help you bond together and create wonderful memories for years to come.
Some of these fun Christmas activities for the family may even become sacred traditions over time!
Table of Contents
What Are Good Christmas Traditions to Do Together As a Family?
Here are some good Christmas traditions to do together as a family this year. In fact, it may even help you focus on something other than gifts. It is so easy to get distracted with the all the shiny objects and forget what is really important.
- Christmas Eve candlelight service-attend a candlelight church service on Christmas Eve. This is so meaningful for the whole family.
- Christmas story-read the Christmas story (Luke 2) sometime during the season. We do it on Christmas Eve.
- Celebrate Advent- read a meaningful passage out loud every week that correlates with Advent candles starting with hope, love, joy, and, finally, peace during Christmas week.
- Mission project-participate in Angel Tree, Operation Christmas Child, feed the homeless, or visit a nursing home during the holidays. This is one of the best Christmas activities for the family!
- Church services-attend church services during Advent. How about going all year??
- Christmas music-have Christmas music playing in the background during the season. Just keep it going all day. It will create a festive mood.
These ideas are such meaningful Christmas activities for the family. I hope you will remember to find a way to put Jesus first over stuff no matter what you do together this year.
Fun Christmas Activities With Food
Who doesn’t love a good meal or snack during the holidays? Here are some fun ways to celebrate the season and get your kids excited about being together as a family using food.
- Special breakfast-make a special breakfast on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning.
- Gingerbread house-decorate a gingerbread house. You can buy the premade sheets with the candy and icing altogether in a kit. It’s not expensive.
- Make cookies-we loved making gingerbread cookies. The kids had fun decorating them. Most of the time the gingerbread men looked a bit wonky…but they still tasted good!
- Special dinner-go to a nice restaurant during the holidays that you would never go to any other time of the year. This is one of the most fun Christmas activities for the family we look forward to every year.
- Holiday picnic– sit on the floor in the dark next to your lit Christmas tree and eat a fun Christmas meal. Or eat pizza! Whatever will be yummy for your kids is the main idea.
- String popcorn-get popcorn and string it. Hang it on the kid’s Christmas tree. Eat the rest!
- Roast marshmallows– get your coat hangers out! You don’t have to have a bonfire to roast marshmallows. You can do it at your fireplace and have just as much fun! Yummy!
- Hot cocoa/cider mix for gifts-here is a great hot chocolate recipe to put together for the neighbors. If you have kids who like to mix and stir, this is a great way to have fun in the kitchen. You can even slip in a little math with the measuring. Don’t forget to drink some too!
What Can You Do With Kids at Christmas?
Here are some fun Christmas activities for the family, kid style. These are great ideas that may quickly become a tradition every year. I think you will especially like these ideas if you are staying at home this year.
- Pictures with Santa-many times the mall or department store will have a Santa that sees kids and takes pictures. I have seen a few places that do selfies or “distanced” Santas if watching the germs.
- Christmas tree-pick out the tree or go cut one down and then decorate the tree together. Drink hot cocoa or cider while doing it.
- Decorate the outdoors-get your kids involved in decorating the front yard. Let them put lights on the bushes, hang something from the trees, or put a wreath on the door.
- Elf on the Shelf-do elf on the shelf every day during the season. Here are 50 ideas to help you make it fun.
- Christmas crafts-make Chrismas themed crafts together. Pinterest has tons of ideas using things around the house you already have.
- Open a present-open one present on Christmas Eve just to add a little fun.
- Santa-set out milk and cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve. Don’t forget the carrots for Rudolph!
- Reindeer prints-put reindeer prints on the floor Christmas morning so it looks like Rudolph and all the reindeer came.
- Stockings-hang stockings on the mantle and fill them when Santa comes. Lots of dollar bills are always fun!
- Colorable Holiday Tablecloth-Amazon has holiday tablecloths that can be colored while sitting at the table. You can do it with your kids or use it for a special meal to keep the kids busy while the adults talk.
- Make an ornament-have your child make an ornament every year. Get a special kid’s Christmas tree and hang them on it. Make sure you have the date on the ornament so you can keep track of them over time.
- Outdoor scavenger hunt-make a list of all the nature in your yard and have your kids find each item. Or take a walk around the block and let your kids discover a whole new world of winter wonderland such as fir, pinecones, mistletoe, etc.
- Paper snowflakes-this is so easy. Fold a piece of paper into four squares. Cut holes in the sides, just don’t cut at the bottom corner. Tape on the windows or hang on the tree.
- Christmas games-Check out these 30 Christmas games to do with your family. They are great for parties too. I love these Christmas activities for the family as there are endless ones to choose from.
- Felt advent calendar-buy a cute calendar that has the month of December displayed. Let your kids put a felt piece on each day in December. They can take turns marking the days until Christmas.
- Letters to Santa-write letters to Santa. There are places you can mail them to the “North Pole.”Some post offices will take them. My favorite is to tuck them away for a keepsake.
Fun Christmas Activities For Teenagers
Teenagers are picky about time with family. Some may even feel forced to be with you as their friends are sooo much more interesting. Try these ideas as they may help you bond with these prickly creatures. In fact, you may even get a smile. Well, maybe.
- Christmas lights-drive around your area and look at Christmas lights together.
- Christmas shopping/market-do your Christmas shopping together as a family at a specialty market or shopping center that is decorated for the holidays.
- Game night-play games together as a family and listen to holiday music while drinking cocoa.
- Puzzle-have a 500 or 1000 piece Christmas puzzle sitting out for everyone to work on during the season. People will just gather at the table randomly to work on it.
- Christmas karaoke-this is the modern version of caroling. Instead of going around the neighborhood, sing and dance together at home. Have a dance party and make a video of your fun.
- Spa night-if you have girls, do a spa night while watching Christmas movies. Make sure to have lots of polish, face masks, and any other beauty products they love. You can even give foot massages.
- Christmas selfie scavenger hunt-check out these ideas on how to do a scavenger hunt holiday edition. This list is awesome to do as a family or with friends.
- Christmas charades-Check out these printable cards for Christmas charades. They will help you to get started on a fun night together with family and/or friends.
- Snowball fight-I realize this isn’t always possible, but who doesn’t love a good snowball fight when there is snow? If you are not into pelting each other, then make snow angels together or go sledding.
- Decorate a wreath-if you have a teen who likes crafts, make a wreath together. A local craft store has all the supplies. This is a great way to spend time together and make memories.
- Movies at home-watch Hallmark or other Christmas movies together at home. We love to watch It’s a Wonderful Life every year together.
- Travel-get out of town and enjoy the holidays away from home with your family. Going to New York is one of the funnest Christmas activities for the family.
How to Entertain Your Family at Christmas?
Check out these fun ideas to help you entertain your family at Christmas. These tips are also great for out of town guests who are staying with you for a few days.
- Christmas concert-attend a Christmas concert as a family. Check your local paper or the web for what is offered in your area.
- Movie theater or Drive-In-go see the latest Christmas movie in the theater. You may even have a drive-in around your area.
- Christmas play-go to a Christmas play at a local theater or church. Some churches go all out and have live animals in their productions.
- Amusement park– Check your area for amusement parks that decorate for the holidays.
- Ice skating-go ice skating together. Have your kids invite friends to come along.
- Carriage ride-many areas have carriage rides available. This is definitely one of the best fun Christmas activities for the family.
- Live Nativity Scene-attend a live nativity scene in your area. Some of them are in a place where you can simply drive by to see it all.
- Christmas craft bazaar-many times schools, churches, or sororities will hold a Christmas market in your area. Check out the paper or web for what is available.
How Can I Make Christmas More Fun?
The best fun Christmas activities for the family are ones that the whole family is interested in doing. Don’t force an activity, even if every other family does it.
Listen to what your family likes to do.
My kids decorated the tree a couple of times and then lost interest, so we never did it again together.
On the other hand, my family loves to travel on the holidays, go on carriage rides, eat at nice restaurants, and worship together, so that is what we do.
Last year, my 21-year-old decorated three gingerbread houses. This is a tradition that we have been doing since they were young and, apparently, she is going to keep doing it for who knows how long!
Furthermore, take time to do something you love to do… alone. Keep up your own health and enjoy the season! Don’t feel like you have to do everything on the list. They are just suggestions!
Merry Christmas from Mom Remade!
What fun Christmas activities for the family do you do. Comment below.
Got Family Problems? There is Help and Hope!
Are you experiencing family problems or even estranged? Are you feeling shame, anger, or rejection? Check out my book Estranged: Finding Hope When Your Family Falls Apart on Amazon or at your favorite digital store.
This book not only talks about my seven-year estrangement from my Christian family, but it also gives solid tips to help you with your own family problems. Break free from your pain. Allow God to heal you no matter what has happened in your family of origin. There is hope when your family falls apart.
Creating Family Memories Book
Get Creating Family Memories. This book will help you manage your family in a way that allows more time to be intentional with your kids. It includes a schedule too. You can get it at your favorite bookstore.
Join the group Christian Family Living on Facebook
Continue the conversation on Facebook and join the group Christian Family Living. This is a place for Christian women to freely talk about parenting, marriage, faith, family, and culture. Being a Christian is hard! Let’s do it together. Most of all, a sense of humor is required. Got memes? Bring it on!
Follow Me on Pinterest!
There are tips on building a Christian home, parenting, marriage, family issues, and faith. Learn how to get back to the things that matter most in your life and the life of your family.