33 Ways to Bring Your Family Together at the Holidays
591 19 17
Do you want to bring your family together at the holidays? The best way to get your crew interested in family time is to create some holiday cheer and make some fun traditions.
Here is a list of things my family has done over the years. I am so glad my husband and I took the time out to do them as my kids are now grown. I realize now, I only had a small window of time to make Christmas a magical time they would love and remember fondly.
33 Ways to Bring Your Family Together.
- Christmas concert-attend a Christmas concert as a family
- Movie theater or Drive-In-go see the latest Christmas movie in the theater.
- Movies at home-watch Hallmark or other Christmas movies together at home. We loved to watch It’s a Wonderful Life every year together. And I am a Hallmark freak!
- Christmas play-go to a Christmas play at a local theater.
- Travel-get out of town and enjoy the holidays away from home with your family. New York is so fun at Christmas time.
- Special breakfast-make a special breakfast Christmas Eve or Christmas morning.
- Gingerbread house-decorate a gingerbread house. You can buy the premade sheets with the candy and icing all together in a kit. It’s not expensive.
- Make cookies-we loved making gingerbread cookies. The kids had fun decorating them. Most of the time the gingerbread men looked a bit wonky…but they still tasted good!
- Create family memories-make traditions special to your family ( We toss pancakes from the stove to the table on Christmas morning.)
- Special dinner-go to a nice restaurant during the holidays that you would never go to any other time of the year.
Activities to Do Together:
- Pictures with Santa-many times the mall or department store will have a Santa that sees kids and takes pictures. I have seen a few places that do selfies.
- Christmas tree-pick out the tree or go cut one down, and then decorate the tree together and drink hot cocoa or cider.
- Elf on the Shelf-do elf on the shelf during the season. Here are 50 ideas to help you make it fun.
- Christmas crafts-make Chrismas themed crafts together. (Check out my Pinterest board for holiday craft ideas.)
- Open a present-open one present on Christmas Eve just to add a little fun.
- Santa-set out milk and cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve.
- Reindeer prints-put reindeer prints on the floor Christmas morning so it looks like Rudolph and all the reindeer came.
- Stockings-hang stockings on the mantle and fill them when Santa comes.
- Carriage ride-many areas have carriage rides available. This is a great way to bring the family together.
Pin me for later!
- Christmas lights-drive around your area and look at Christmas lights.
- Ice skating-go ice skating together. Have your kids invite friends to come along.
- Christmas shopping-do your Christmas shopping together as a family.
- Holiday in the Park-this is at Six Flags over Texas. Check your area for amusement parks that do holiday celebrations.
- Game night-play games together as a family, and listen to holiday music and drink cocoa.
- Puzzle-have a 500 or 1000 piece Christmas puzzle sitting out for everyone to work on during the season. People will just gather at the table randomly to work on it.
- Caroling-sing carols together as a family or go caroling together with friends.
Spiritual Memories to Make Together:
- Christmas Eve service-attend a church service on Christmas Eve.
- Christmas story-read the Christmas story (Luke 2) sometime during the season. This will bring your family together.
- Celebrate Advent- have an advent calendar and read a meaningful passage every week.
- Live Nativity Scene-attend a live nativity play or scene in your area.
- Mission project-participate in Angel Tree, Operation Christmas Child, feed the homeless or visit a nursing home. This will bring your family together.
- Church services-attend church services during Advent.
- Christmas music-have Christmas music playing in the background during the season. Just keep it going all day. It will create a festive mood.
Here is an amazing song that is quite powerful. It will definitely help bring in the season.
This is a long list of suggestions. Don’t get stressed out and feel like you have to do them all to bring your family together. That is one of the worst things that happens with moms during the holidays. We do too much and get worn out. Take time to do something you love to do… alone. Keep up your own health and enjoy the season!
Merry Christmas from Mom Remade!
Book on Family Estrangement from a Biblical Point of View
Are you experiencing family problems? Perhaps you and a loved one are no longer speaking. Don’t go another day without reading this book. It addresses family problems and estrangement from a biblical point of view. Estranged: Finding Hope When Your Family Falls Apart is on Amazon or in your favorite digital store.
Get Creating Family Memories for FREE in exchange for your email. If you get this book, it will help you build a good relationship with your kids so that when the hard times come (teen years), you will be able to weather the storm.
Scroll down or look to the side to sign up. You can also get it at your favorite bookstore.
Continue the conversation on Facebook and join the group Christian Family Living. This is a place for Christian women to share their experiences and get helpful tools to navigate the Christian life. We love to laugh, cry, and encourage each other to live out our faith one day at a time.
Check Out Pinterest
For Parenting Tips, Crafts, Baby Care, Pre-School, Teens, Family Activities, And Much More!