25 Things You Must Do to be a Good Parent
Do you wonder if you are a good parent? When my kids were younger, I didn’t always know if I was doing the right thing. I felt like everyone else was always a step ahead of me.
Now that my kids are grown, I realize there were many things my husband and I did do right. We weren’t perfect parents, but because we did these 25 things, it off-set some of our mistakes. If I were to do it all over, I would make sure to include these things again.
Here are the twenty-five things you must do to be a good parent:
1. Read to your children when they are young.
3. Attend church regularly as a family.
4. Get your child involved in the church youth group.
6. Encourage your child to go on a mission trip or volunteer when older.
7. Participate in missions as a family.
8. Eat together at the table as a family. No phones or TV.
11. Attend your child’s sporting/school events.
13. Set limits on your child’s phone time and content access. Put blocks on screened things.
15. Check your child’s texts, social media regularly.
16. Allow your child time to play. Don’t over schedule.
17. Encourage your teen to be involved in school whether it is sports, clubs, band, etc.
19. Use Find Friends or another app so you know the location of your child.
20. Pray with and for your child regularly.
21 Get a pet.
22. Be consistent. Follow through with what you say.
24. Listen. Don’t yell.
Pin me for later!
Creating Good Family Memories
Dr. James Dobson says there is more to raising children than just rules and regulations. What worked in past generations doesn’t work now. You have to create good family memories to bond. Laugh and enjoy each other.
Being a good parent means you have to stay engaged with your kids. When you develop a good relationship with your kids early on, there is a better chance they will want to do the right things when they get older.
Josh McDowell said it best. “Rules without relationship leads to rebellion.” If all you do is have a bunch of rules but no fun, your kids will resent you. There is more to parenting than making kids obey. On the other hand, having no rules is a disaster, too. Learn to balance your family with these 25 things so you will be a good parent.
For more information on how you can develop wonderful family memories, purchase my book or get it for free if you subscribe to Mom Remade.
What do you do to create good family memories? Leave a comment below.
Pin me for later!
Book on Family Estrangement from a Christian Point of View
Are you experiencing family problems? Perhaps you and a loved one are no longer speaking to each other. Don’t go another day without reading this book. It addresses family problems and estrangement from a biblical point of view. Estranged: Finding Hope When Your Family Falls Apart is on Amazon or at your favorite digital store.
Get Creating Family Memories for FREE in exchange for your email. If you get this book, it will help you build a good relationship with your kids so that when the hard times come (teen years), you will be able to weather the storm.
Scroll down or look to the side to sign up. You can also get it at your favorite bookstore.
Continue the conversation on Facebook and join the group Christian Parenting and Family. This is a place for moms with preschool age kids or older to talk about their struggles with parenting, family life, education, or marriage. You will find biblically based advise from other moms who want to raise godly kids.
Check Out Pinterest
For Parenting Tips, Crafts, Baby Care, Pre-School, Teens, Family Activities, And Much More!