Are you searching for clean TV shows for the whole family? When I first started looking on TV for shows to recommend, I was a little discouraged. I didn’t think I would find fifty shows that were clean. Let’s face it, there’s a lot of trash out there.
Fortunately, I decided to ask people on my personal Facebook, my Mom Remade page, and my Christian Family Living Group to tell me their favorite clean TV shows for the family. I also asked a few Christian parenting and family groups too.
And, boy, did they deliver!
This list is a combination of all their responses plus my own preferences.
I have spent hours compiling these recommendations so you would have a quick reference for some good, clean TV shows plus information on profanity filters and streaming services. If you are stuck at home, this information will help you have a much better time together as a family.
*I am constantly updating this list to best serve your family. There are now over 100 shows for you to check out!!
RELATED:100 Best Christian Family Movies of All Time (2022)
100+ Best Clean TV Shows For the Whole Family
Check out these clean TV shows on Amazon and Netflix as well as many other streaming services. In fact, these shows can be found on many channels, Christian or secular.
Best Clean TV Shows-Old School (Classics)
Here are some great classic shows for the whole family. In fact, these clean TV shows will probably be a reminder of the good ol’ days.
- The Andy Griffith Show
- The Waltons
- Little House on the Prairie
- I Love Lucy
- The Dick Van Dyke Show
- Happy Days
- Father Knows Best
- The Brady Bunch
- Westerns (Rawhide, Big Valley, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, The Lone Ranger)
- Petticoat Junction
- Green Acres
- Gomer Pyle, USMC
- Gilligan’s Island
- The Beverly Hillbillies
- Leave It to Beaver
Good Clean Shows on Netflix 2022
Check out these wholesome shows on Netflix. I am sure there are more, but this is a good start.
- Highway to Heaven
- When Calls the Heart
- NCIS series (violence)
- Sweet Magnolias
- Anne of Green Gables
- Gilmore Girls
- Fuller House
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Sister, Sister
- Crash Landing On You
- The Great British Baking Show
- Madam Secretary
- The West Wing
- Nailed It!
- Pawn Stars
- Free Reign
- The Lost Husband
Purchase your ebook or paperback on Amazon or at your favorite digital store.
Clean Shows on Amazon Prime 2022
Check out these clean TV shows on Amazon. There are actually a lot of them to choose from.
- Making It
- Green Acres
- Cedar Cove
- Andy Griffith
- River Monsters
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Myth Busters
- The Astronauts Wives Club
- White Collar
- Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
- Little Men
- The Young Riders
- Murder, She Wrote
- 7th Heaven
- Last Man Standing
- Mercy Street
- The Middle
- Friday Night Lights
- Dr. Thorne
- Home Improvement
- Planet Earth
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered
- Army Wives
- The Wonder Years
- Malcolm In The Middle
- Chesapeake Shores
- Touched By An Angel
- Duck Dynasty
- North and South
The best kind of entertainment is camping! Get your FREE TENT CAMPING CHECKLIST so you never forget a thing!
Clean TV Shows On Hallmark
I love Hallmark. These are some of my favorite shows. I hope you will enjoy them too. Basically, anything on this channel is clean.
- When Calls the Heart
- When Hope Calls
- Chesapeake Shores
- Cedar Cove
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered
- I Love Lucy
Cleaner than most TV Shows on Prime Time
Here are a few shows on Prime Time that are clean. I am sure there are more, but here is a good start.
- Bluebloods (violence)
- NCIS (violence)
- America’s Funniest Home Videos
- American Idol
- The Voice
- American Ninja Warrior
- Little Big Shots
- America’s Got Talent
Clean TV Shows-Home Renovation
There is nothing like a redo. Here are a few suggestions to check out.
- Love It or List It
- Property Brothers
- Fixer Upper
- Flip or Flop
- Rehab Addict
- This Old House
(Cleaner than prime time) TV Series On PBS or BBC
These shows are all from Masterpiece. They are a little saucier but not as racy as Prime Time television. You definitely need to be on the lookout for junk because they slip it in every once in a while. It’s for an older viewing audience. These shows can be found on Amazon Prime (or pay for the PBS add-on via Amazon Prime), Britbox, PBS, or get the PBS passport app and stream it.
Some of these shows hop around on Netflix, Hulu, or other streaming sites. I promise you will be addicted once you start watching!
- Father Brown (violence)
- The Crown (iffy)
- Downton Abbey
- Howard’s End
- Around the World in 80 Days
- Upstairs, Downstairs
- Miss Scarlet and the Duke (violence)
- Little Women
- All Creatures Great and Small
Chosen App/ YouTube
This is my FAVORITE series. It is sooo good. You will need to download The Chosen app and watch it on your phone or screen mirror it on your television. You can also get it on YouTube or BYUtv. (Who knows when they will flag and remove it from YouTube.) Believe me, there is nothing slightly inappropriate about The Chosen. It is the Bible in living color.
In fact, Dallas Jenkins (son of Jerry B. Jenkins, Left Behind Series) has gone to great lengths to make sure it is scriptural. FYI, start with Season 1, Episode 3. Then go back to Episode 1. Episodes 1 and 2 will make more sense and not feel as slow.
Is There a Christian Streaming Service?
Check out these alternative Christian streaming services that are like Netflix. They offer Christian movies, clean TV shows, documentaries, Christian comedy, and children’s programming. They all vary in cost and payment plans. Check out their websites for more information.
- Hallmark Channel-this is my favorite channel to watch. Many of the TV shows I recommend are from this channel. There are three channels: drama, romance, and mysteries.
- BYUtv-download the app, watch it on Hallmark or go to byutv.org. You must have Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, Android TV, Windows, Xbox One, iOS, or Android to get the app. There are lots of shows. I just found The Chosen on there. Yay!
- KERA Passport(not Christian per se)-you can become a TV member and have access to all the things offered on your public broadcasting system. Masterpiece Theater, The Great British Baking Show, and many other programs are available.
- PureFlix- they offer Christian movies and shows, comedy series, and children’s programming. They have their own studio so they produce many of their own programs. Highly recommend this one.
- Christian Cinema-this is a no commitment, no subscription platform. You pay as you go. They offer faith-based content as well as mainstream media.
- Frndly TV-they offer lots of channels with the choice of live TV, and On Demand. You can also record a bunch of shows. There are no contracts and you can cancel at any time. They have three Hallmark channels, UP tv, BYU, and Insp. They also have unlimited DVR. I have this service and love it!
- Dove Channel-this offers old classics as well as new content. It has approved mainstream content for adults and children.
- Up Faith & Family-it’s uplifting faith and family content just like it says. There are both TV series as well as movies and kids programming. Lots to choose from. Many familiar titles are offered.
- CrossFlix– this streaming platform offers faith-based and family-friendly movies and children’s programming. Their goal is to entertain, educate, and entertain.
- FaithLifeTV-check out this channel. It offers movies, documentaries, and children’s programming. They are constantly adding more as they go along.
- Tween Xstream-Christian streaming platform for tweens. It was recommended on a Christian parenting site I am on. It just started in September 2020. It’s a streaming service from South Africa so don’t be surprised when you look at the cost. It’s in South African Rand (ZAR).
- Yippee-it’s like Netflix, but for kids. They have lots of VeggieTales, YouTube-style videos, cartoons, Backyard Bible Camp, and many other choices. I’m hearing good things from parents about this one.
- Smile of a Child-this TBN children’s channel delivers animated as well as live-action-faith-based programming for kids.
- Jellytelly-this platform caters exclusively to children. The guy who created VeggieTales created this service. Of course, VeggieTales is offered as one of the programs.
- Minno Kids– Christian streaming platform for young kids. They have VeggieTales, Superbook, Owlegories, and much more.
*BEST DEALS ON TV SERVICE AND STREAMING:
- Dish Network-sign up for the basic package which includes locals, some news, Hallmark, HGTV, and a few other channels. You will have to talk to a Dish representative to get the package especially if you are not a new customer. It is available. Push until you get it!
- YouTube TV and then add Frndly: YouTube TV gives you locals, sports channels, news channels, etc. but not Hallmark. The cheapest way to get the Hallmark channel is to stream Frndly and pay the yearly subscription upfront. (This is what I do.)
- Stream the channels without any cable /dish service-if you have an Apple box you can stream whatever you want. Choose the channels you like without anyone forcing you to add channels you don’t need.
- Spectrum-they have different plans that offer local channels + for a very low price if that is all you want.
RELATED: Family Bonding Activities: Fun Ways to Spend Time Together
Get your FREE FAMILY SCHEDULE PRINTABLE and editable document. Make time for what is important!
Best Profanity Filters For TV
After much reading and research, I found these services to be the most optimal for families. They all have their pros and cons. It just depends on what services you are currently using as to how they will specifically work for you.
Check out all of them periodically because they are constantly upgrading and changing what they can do. Prices change depending on the type of service you get.
- VidAngel– there are three ways to use the filters. You can choose to skip bad scenes that include violence, block nudity, and mute words you don’t want to hear. It works with streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon, Amazon Prime, and HBO.
- TVGuardian: works with standard definition and high definition TVs. It works any place that offers closed captioning such as Dish Network, cable, DVRs, TV antennas, satellite, DVD, and Blu-ray players. It will not work on streaming services, computers, or game systems.
- ClearPlay– they offer an app that works with streaming services that are purchased or rented. You can automatically skip over scenes and language you do not want to hear or see. It works with Netflix, Amazon, and Blu-ray disc.
- Controls on your TV– check the manufacturer’s instructions for the filters on your TV. All smart TVs have something that can be put in place immediately to filter out things you don’t want your kids to hear or see.
*FYI: Netflix is rolling out new filters this year as part of their services. You can add Pins, remove titles, restrict screen time, check viewing history, etc. Check out this post for more details on Netflix parental controls.
What Sites Can You Watch TV For Free?
Personally, I do not recommend watching free TV online.
Most of the free streaming sites are unsecured and will leave you totally exposed to dangerous malware, malicious trackers, and pesky advertisements. Furthermore, there is no way to find out if these online services have the proper licensing to show the content.
I did find one source that says these 12 sites are legal to watch online streaming. If you are flat broke, you might try them out. Just be warned, if you see lots of popup ads and VPN recommendations to hide your IP address, chances are you hit an illegal website. Get off fast!
One free channel I do recommend is KERA (PBS). Most everyone gets this channel with their local programming. Sadly, you have to watch out for some of their programming. The shows are good, but they slip in a few things that are immoral, for sure.
Downton Abbey, Upstairs Downstairs, The World on Fire are just a few of the shows from the Masterpiece series. PBS isn’t just for little kids. It’s for big kids too! Check it out.
RELATED: Family Schedule: How to Keep Your Sanity When the Kids Are Home
Pin it for later!
Finding Binge-Worthy TV Shows
If your family is stuck at home more than usual, these shows will keep them entertained for a long time.
I highly recommend that you do lots of other things besides watching TV, but sometimes it is nice to sit down and chill.
When you are chilling together, you can check out these clean TV shows to binge on for the night. It will make it a lot easier to watch a program and not have to constantly change the channel or start over with something else.
What clean TV shows do you recommend? Comment below. Also, let me know any of these shows are not what they claim to be.
Got Family Problems? There is Help and Hope!
Are you experiencing family problems or have a family estrangement? Do you feel shame, anger, or rejection? Check out my book Estranged: Finding Hope When Your Family Falls Apart on Amazon or at your favorite digital store.
This book not only talks about my seven-year estrangement from my Christian family but also gives solid tips to help you with your family problems. Break free from your pain. Allow God to heal you no matter what has happened in your family of origin. There is hope when your family falls apart.
Creating Family Memories Book
Get Creating Family Memories. This book will help you manage your family in a way that allows more time to be intentional with your kids. It includes a schedule too. You can get it at your favorite bookstore.
Join the group Christian Family Living on Facebook
Continue the conversation on Facebook and join the group Christian Family Living. This is a place for Christian women to freely talk about parenting, marriage, faith, family, and culture. Being a Christian is hard! Let’s do it together. Most of all, a sense of humor is required. Got memes? Bring it on!
Follow Me on Pinterest!
There are tips on building a Christian home, parenting, marriage, family issues, and faith. Learn how to get back to the things that matter most in your life and the life of your family. It’s time for a revival!
35 thoughts on “100+ Best Clean TV Shows For Families Who Are Tired of Garbage (2023)”
Great list. A few I’ve never heard of to check out.
“Raising Hope” is hands down the best show I’ve seen. Just one episode with a left political bent that is easy to bypass (praising Hilary Clinton). The rest are politics, religion & agenda free. Easy to find on FreeVee.
“Studio C” (& frankly any project involving Matthew Meese) from BYU TV is the best thing for the family. Doesn’t matter if you’re Mormon, Christian, Atheist, whatever. It’s all good. All ages. Watch the first 9 seasons free & commercial free. From there, go to Angel Studios app/channel to find “Freelancers.”
I just want to find shows not pushing a woke agenda.
Thanks for the additional shows. I love all the suggestions.
Frasier… “Clean” compared to post 2010 shows.
Filled with sexual innuendo, blasphemy, adulatory, mild language.
Not “Clean Comedy.” Frasier, Miles, Dad and Daphne all are obsessed with relationships/intercourse. I had to stop watching.
Home Improvement is the clean 90’s. Even the newer show “Last Man Standing” is not as clean. Still cleaner than Frasier.
Milder cursing, Blasphemy, Innuendo. (Than Frasier)
Still has both B words, Alcohol in every episode, and a lot of innuendo.
Most suggestions here are wrong, or downright filthy. “Malcolm In The Middle” is probably the cleanest suggestion. Maybe “Corner Gas.” But it has been a while since I watched CG.
Anything post 2010 is dubiously “clean.”
This list has Corner Gas and Malcom In the Middle.
The rest are pretty dirty.
I might add “I love Lucy.” as “Clean.” Maybe a few other older shows… But after 1975… “Clean Comedy” is very rare.
Not sure if it was on the movie list, but “Mom’s Night Out” was very well made and very funny. My husband even enjoyed it, which is saying a lot. It has Sean Astin and Patricia Heaton in it.
Lassie, Dragnet, The old Candid Camera, Dennis the Menace (original), Lone Ranger…. Really appreciate this list. I am so tired of the trash I find on Netflix. Whenever I think I find something to watch, some needless character goes against everything I believe in. If I would not let that type of person in my living room in real life I am not letting them in via the screen either
These are such good recommendations. Thanks for your input!
The old Touched by an Angel series is on either Pluto or Tubi. it’s very good!
Yes, I love that series!!
I don’t know what you define as clean television, but some of the shows on this list are full of sexual innuendo and immoral, worldly values. Many of them we have crossed off our viewing list because of this. All I can say is, viewer, beware. Just because a show appears on this list does not necessarily mean it won’t offend godly standards. Each person must judge for himself, but we shouldn’t be so hungry for worldly entertainment that we would be willing to compromise our values. A little yeast leavens the whole lump of dough.
Yes, specifically PBS has added more adult content to their programs. I am pulling off some of the suggestions as they have gone south.
Yes and AMEN
Most of them are “Not Clean” by pre-2000 standards.
Look at the rating.
Hi! Thanks for making this list, it’s very helpful! But have you watched all of Poldark, Victoria, and Sanditon? I agree that the earlier ones were soooo good, but they all eventually have pretty graphic sex scenes. I know that we may have different ideas of what “clean” means, but I hope you take another look at those. Thanks again!
Yes, they are on the spicier side(Downton Abbey included). It’s better than a lot of stuff on Primetime. Most kids don’t like period shows so they’re not going to watch it anyways. My suggestions include some ideas for adults as well as kids. Of course, everyone’s idea of clean is different so if you don’t like it, don’t watch it. And you can always fast forward if it’s on DVR. I highly suggest recording and not watching it live.
Right now media is a great resource and app for streaming devotionals, kids shows (think veggie tales & bible man) and family worship! Our family uses it almost daily!
Yes! It is. There is a link to it at the beginning of the post. It’s a great resource for Christian families.
A show on netflix called Lost in space is a great unexpected one! Now obviously everyone’s interpretation of a clean show is different so I will explain: it is a good clean show that still gives you all the feels of watching on the edge of your seat. Many shows that aren’t full of junk also tend to be poorly made so much of the time. My husband and I love watching a good show or movie without being tempted, or having our spirits filled with a bunch of worldly things that leave us less sensitive to God. This is one of those shows where we can watch guilt free. It is centered around a family leaving earth to another planet and they take detours, have to save each other, find out the truth about the mission to leave earth etc. It has fighting in it with robots and an antagonist character that is a little disturbing but is played so well and really makes the show more emotionally gripping. It’s also great for young teens to watch with family without them just isolating themselves on their phone watch this with them and have something to interact with together- it’s that good!
P.S thank you for your recommendations here!
Looking for things for a teen to enjoy and glad I found this list. Will point out I disagree about Bones being clean. It is incredibly graphic and there is endless sexual innuendo, homosexuality, and constant arguments against faith. Was very disappointed after letting my kid watch some of this.
I’ve seen some of the earlier episodes. I guess it went downhill. I’ll take it off the list. Sorry!!
If you watch to the end, one of the main characters have opened the mind of the other to God. She isn’t a Christian by the end but starting to consider it a possibility. And yes there are discussions of sex but they never show anything and it is still quite clean.
Yes, you’re absolutely right. I was going to post this as well. It was such a shame that the writers put that into a story that was watched by children. At the time when this story took place, subjects of sexuality weren’t spoken about, and homosexuality was considered to be very evil by virtually everyone.
Frankly the subject of homosexuality wasn’t needed in the show, period. It was never written in any one the books. Putting it there was nothing more than to satisfy someone’s gay agenda; something we’re being forced to see (but not watch) more and more often.
Please remove “Anne With an E” from this list. It’s such a shame, because the first season was so delightful.
Thank you for this list! As a Christian empty nester I still appreciate clean shows! One show you might try is “ Hometown” as a fixer upper. It’s a Christian couple and their book is quite good too m
Oh, this is so good to know. I will have to check it out. Hopefully, my readers will see this too. Thanks for the suggestion.
We love Corner Gas. It’s a Canadian show. So funny and I feel totally comfortable watching it with my kids!
I have never heard of this show. So great there are more clean shows out there than what I have found. I will have to look it up. Thanks for the suggestion.
i agree–we like Corner Gas too. very quirky and i didn’t see anything questionable on it. Canadian TV does have lots of options. i wish we got more of it here in the States.
I have never heard of Corner Gas. Sounds folky like Andy Griffith. Thanks for your comment.
Wild at Heart is an excellent series! Clean with 7 seasons.
Thanks for this suggestion! I have never seen this series. I just looked it up. It looks fantastic!
Seinfeld, a different world, the Cosby show, one on one, half and half,
Seinfeld is mostly about adulterous relationships.
Cosby show is “Cleaner” … It’s quite clean when you compare the two.
I don’t think Seinfield is on the list. I used to love Cosby, but it is hard to watch it now due to the allegations.
Great list! I’d like to suggest another if I can—byutv.org
It’s all clean, it’s all free, and it’s really fun! My sisters and I (11 years old to 26) love their sketch comedy and their show Dwight in Shining Armor.
Thank you for this suggestion. I just added it to the list. I can’t believe it is free! Thanks for letting me know.